Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20

It was so cold and snowy today, I decided we needed some color to brighten things up.

One of the many things I do for my job is to collect the mail from the building's main mail room and sort it into the individual mailboxes in the department.  Our faculty get all sorts of professional journals:  Nature, Science, Journal of Physiology, etc.  Today someone got a copy of PhysicsToday in the mail.  On the cover was picture of a Russian icon being examined, so I opened it to see what the article was about. (It was about ion beams used art forensics.)  The article that really caught my eye, however, was "Quantum numbers, Chern classes, and a bodhisattva."  Not being a mathematician or a physicist, I have no idea what they were talking about in the article.  I really like the idea of creative breakthroughs in quantum mathematics and bodhisattvas having something in common though....  Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment