Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11

On the bus today, Pema was talking about not having an iron heart, not hardening your heart and shielding yourself from everything.  It reminds me of the quote from Hebrews to "harden not your heart".  The similarities between Buddhist and Catholic symbolism is something I love:  reliquaries and stupa; bodhisattvas and saints; litanies and chants.  It is perhaps why Buddhism seems so familiar to me when I listen to the dharma talks.  As Joseph Campbell said, the mystics of every religion recognize each other.

Nearly 20 years ago (can it really be that long?) I did a piece called, "I will break your hearts of stone, give you hearts for love alone."  It's rather large, 30" x 20", given that it's a beaded painting.  The piece hangs in our dining room....  Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment