Friday, March 23, 2012

March 23

The magnolias in Madison are in full bloom.  Unfortunately, I haven't had my camera with me, or it just wouldn't work to stop and take a picture.  We definitely have to visit the Arboretum on Sunday.

There was an old magnolia tree next to my grandmother's house.  As a child I can remember waiting for the flowers to burst out each spring.  Back then we went to her house every Sunday after church.  We'd eat endless amounts of sugary treats, watch Flash Gordon reruns, and in nice weather run around her huge side yard.  She had nineteen grandchildren, and sixteen of us lived in the same town.  In fact twelve of us lived right across the street from each other.

I know GG hated all the magnolia petals dropping all over her sidewalk and driveway, but I loved that tree.  Even when not in flower, it was a wonderful bent old tree....  Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment